Still at Monty's!!! after killer peel-n-eat shrimp and off-the-charts dancing music!!!!

Still at Monty's!!!  after killer peel-n-eat shrimp and off-the-charts dancing music!!!!
So Mr Man isn't the best at taking cell phone pix...this picture was taken after FOUR ATTEMPTS!!!

It's MY Turn!!!

You have lucked up and found my very first blog! This is a project for my CAGS certificate at the University of New England. I LOVE being a student which is probably why I work in the Duval County school system in North Florida! So, what about me? I teach English and Reading. I love to travel. I have visited the island of Cuba and those wonderful folks on humanitarian mission trips many times in the past twelve years. That's my passion!


I'm at a great point in my life because my two beautiful kids are now in their 20's. Somehow the parenting shifted from caregiver to counselor to confidante to colleague. Again, it's a Great Time to Be Me!!!!! So, what's with the title of my blog??? I shamelessly stole it from a LONG time ago, and I had to cyber-travel to Arizona, my birthplace, to remember. This was the name of my mom's sewing shop when I was a baby! I was already famous before the age of one!


Did I mention Mr. Man? For the past two+ years, I've been involved in a long-distance relationship. We are at opposite ends of Florida, and together we've traveled from Miami to Tallahassee to Cedar Key to Orlando to Gainesville, to St. Augustine, and everywhere in between! Oh, and I turn the Big 5-0 this year. Maybe it's not the Greatest Time!!!! (LOL)

Thanks Mr. Man!

Thanks Mr. Man!
You just gotta love a man who carries your Ann Taylor stuff!!!

Meet my Family!

Meet my Family!
Aren't we beautiful? Tim is 27 and Charlotte is 25. They are the coolest people on the planet!

20 September 2010

Fly Away Home (for Joe)

news4jax.com reported it very early this morning. The body of a black male was found discarded in a creek behind subsidized housing. The body had been there for at least a day. The creek was on the "upscale" Southside part of town which is about as far from the Northside and the hood and the Ribault Trojan nation as you can get. Grief counselors were called in to the school. The RIP was posted on Facebook. Homicide detectives are investigating.

This wasn't your typical Monday morning! This weekend I worked at a Jesus thing, a church renewal weekend called Faith Alive in West Palm Beach. It was wonderful and it was over Saturday night at 9:30. Of course, it was 5 hours NORTH to go home or it was 1 hour SOUTH to hear "Welcome home!" from Mr. Man. Did I even have a choice? While we baked in the sun all day Sunday, I couldn't help but be mesmerized and completely captured by the antics of a band of seagulls as they disrupted our view of the horizon. Actually, they WERE the view and they have probably been to the horizon and back a few times. Or as Buzz promised, "To Infinity and Beyond!" I snapped this picture with my phone to remind me to spend time being carefree and to embrace nature 24/7. I also remembered Bach's fable, Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I thought about it a lot actually. Well, Jonathan's spirit, at least for today, is embodied in a scruffy bearded, BIG, beautiful eyed, Reuben Studdard voiced, thug, who always addressed you by name and always wore a smile...His name was Joe and he was in my 2nd period class. He had become more disciplined in his Senior year. He had been attending class regularly. I helped him Thursday search and apply for some landscaping jobs online. He loved to rap and had just given a report on a book entitled The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah. The irony is that according to amazon.com the story is a CAUTIONARY TALE protesting the use of drugs and violence by African-Americans in the inner city. I can't really dwell on Joe any more tonight and a life snuffed out too soon, but here's some excerpts from JLS that seem appropriate... (Keep reading until the end for the real eye-opener!)

So this is heaven, he thought, and he had to smile at himself. It was hardly respectful to analyze heaven in the very moment that one flies up to enter it. The memory of his life on Earth was falling away. Earth had been a place where he had learned much, of course, but the details were blurred - something about fighting for food, and being Outcast. "Why is it," Jonathan puzzled, "that the hardest thing in the world is to convince a bird that he is free, and that he can prove it forhimself if he'd just spend a little time practicing? Why should that be sohard?" "To begin with " he said heavily, "you've got to understand that a seagull is an unlimited idea of freedom, an image of the Great Gull, and your whole body, from wingtip to wingtip, is nothing more than your thought itself."

Today was progress report day. Yesterday, I went through my folder of unread essays, and guess whose essay was on top. Yep.. Joe's! Here it is. The 3rd paragraph is prophetic, in a very sad way!

Name Something that Made a Change in Your Life Something that changed my life was when I witnessed my first homicide with my own two eyes. It numbed me up in a lot of ways. It enabled me to feel all kinds of feelings that I never had like constant paranoia, the lack of sleeping, and of being alone. I started sleeping during the day because I was scared to sleep at night as a result of being traumatized from what I had seen. When I say it numbed me out, it shut a lot of emotions down or into shock. It felt like my nervous system was literally witnessing technical difficulties. I felt like I was just taking up space like I was just there, with no expression on my face, just blank nothing, just pure displacement. It detached me from living a normal life. The constant paranoia did not stop. It was a constant symptom of seeing a heinous crime. It reoccurred hundreds of thousands of times. I seen it so much that I could see myself as becoming the next victim to be killed, gunned down in the streets like an outcast or some estranged bum. Over time, I guess wounds heal but I’m still mentally, physically, and emotionally scarred from the incident. It took away any innocence that I had. It was gone. I was now a victim of things I could not change, the changes being good or bad. I just keep moving on. I don’t beat myself up about it.

8 comments:

  1. I really don't know what to say here....There is always a fear in the back of my mind that I will teach and love these kids every year, making them my family, and suddenly have one of them become a Joe.... I am so very sorry...What a waste of promise...Before school began this year, one of our just graduated 8th graders was shot and in critical condition...He's still got a way to go on the road back...It wasn't the least bit surprising though...I remember that his mother threw her hands up and pretty much gave up on him when he was in third grade....We just don't completely "get" what their lives are like....Joe's own words actually revealed his destiny, unbeknownest to him....Incredibly sad...I am sending my prayers your way... Write soon. XXXX A

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks girlfriend! the funeral is monday afternoon...i'm going...some of these kids are just born under an unlucky store. Joe's mom had just died in March and the real tragedy is that our newspaper wrote another article about how he had been visiting prisons and truly trying to mentor others and get other kids to consider the right track...still, i can't see the allure and attraction of the gangsta lifestyle...in jacksonville, there just isn't enough jobs for everyone!!! about your student, WOW!! how can someone give up on their child in third grade..i mean as a 9 year old, they are already showing zero promise??? what????? i'm heading to pier one...i need an attitude adjustment...even just a cheap picture frame will do...later girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little retail therapy never hurts...BTW, Pier one has fun little rings in glass and beads in the 6 dollar range...I was there yesterday--Who knew they had more than home decor?!....Tomorrow will be a tough day...Girlfriend support and love is with you...Write when you can. A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey girlfriend..the funeral was lovely...lots of support there...time well spent 'nuf sed...
    i did go to pier one...i'm wearing a black bracelet with tiny silver rings with butterfly charms all over..it was on sale for $8 and i thought that black was the appropriate color and butterflys are a great symbol for morphing into a resurrection state...again, 'nuf sed..
    i also spent another $160 there...had to...had a huge hole inside and i filled it with picture frames and a cool curtain and a 5 tier shelf that i allen wrenched myself...oh and a lamp too...everything was on sale...oh yeah, and a super cool wall hanging......
    so, what's next..well, i got a big check from the insurance company that i have to send to my mortgage company so that they can issue it in thirds...oh boy...so tomorrow, my contractor is meeting me for an estimate and then i go to home depot for the mother of all dummy shopping lists! good times, good times...
    so what about you?? how many more weeks of the evil grader?? lindsay on fb was posting about a 12 out of 15 on a lit review..and girlfriend, i hope it wasn't the one i personally and nitpickingly reviewed for her...
    10-22 is cuba...THANK YOU GOD!
    and soon, i want to meet you face to face...if for nothing else, than a weekend of shopping!
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bracelet was apropos....Where did you put your new shelf?.... How did you make out with the insurance company???....Today is a rainy, dismal day in Ct....I have 3 weeks left of this class-woo hoo!....Two weeks until my big unit is due....Maybe I better start writing it ; )...You are funny w/ L's paper...I'm sure the one you edited was not the one that she got a few points off of!....I actually listened to a webinar last night for some extra credit points....I had to post my thought on the lecture and respond to 1 other classmate for 5 extra points...Not bad, right?... Now you should be in countdown mode for Cuba!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new shelf is in my office right next to my desk...it is between 5 and 6 feet high and one shelf has my copy paper, one shelf has 3 of Charlotte's dolls that her Grandma June Grubbs made (RIP), one shelf has photos of my 2 beautiful kids at various stages...blah, blah, blah....Countdown to Cuba...I have a workshop on Thursday, 10-21 in orlando...then, I can leave there at 7pm and I'm headed straight to Miami to sleep with a certain beautiful brown man that I'm just so darn stuck on....then 22nd FLIGHT! thank you Jesus! Later on about insurance...finally have every piece of paper and hopefully within the next 2 weeks I will have my "first draw" of $5,000 dollars...I'm happy that your ordeal with UNE is almost over...My entire experience was such a positive and I'm sad for you that you had the essay Nazi for your 5th class!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to butt in here late girls!! I've been preoccupied with my sister's wedding planning...but now I have some time on my hands! So sorry about Joe, Cindy! Glad everyone came together for a beautiful celebration of his life. A- that was my Cindy critiqued Lit Review that got a 12...but no worries...by the MASS posting it sounded like she had the same complaints about EVERYONE"S review! Ha! I resubmitted with the apporopraite changes she suggested and have racked myself a 15/15! Cindy...your critique was awesome, thank you so much! You couldn't have foreseen such a tough critic! Love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to have you "back" L!!!.... I hear you w/the paper....I think all of us gals have a little "overachiever" inside us...How dare they not see our terrific educational insight-ha!...I was able to do a webinar for extra credit--that was never offered to me before so I thought a few extra points would be a nice buffer...C- I love anything that helps me organize my life better-the shelf sounds great!

    ReplyDelete